A century of Paulian fellowship

From an athletic association founded in 1922 to one of Malaysia’s most active alumni organisations, the Old Paulians’ Association has grown through friendship, service and an enduring commitment to St. Paul’s Institution.

1922

The beginning

The St. Paul’s Athletic Association was founded, bringing Paulians and Lasallians together through sport and fellowship.

1926

SPOBA established

The association was formally registered as the St. Paul’s Old Boys’ Association, expanding into social and cultural activities.

1948

A post-war revival

Mr. J. R. Santa Maria, Mr. C. A. Pinto and Mr. Thong Ah Chong revived the association after the Second World War. Encik Bahaman bin Shamsuddin became its first President.

Traditions that brought Paulians together

In 1949, the Association hosted its first Reunion Dinner and Dance to reunite members and friends separated during the war. The tradition became a defining part of Paulian fellowship, with later gatherings welcoming more than a thousand Paulians from around the world.

In 1952, SPOBA collaborated with the St. Francis Association of Malacca to form the La Sallian Association. The La Sallian Soccer Competition strengthened camaraderie among alumni, and SPOBA proudly emerged as champion for six consecutive years.

The competition also brought together the Old Boys of Christian Brothers in Singapore and St. John’s in Kuala Lumpur. This wider fellowship helped inspire the formation of the Federation of La Sallian Associations in 1983, with OPA as a founding member.

Places we called home

The journey to Paulian House

From rented rooms to a permanent home beside St. Paul’s Institution, each address represents another chapter in the Association’s history.

OPA Market Lane.jpg

First Club Premises

No. 2 Market Lane, Seremban

OPA Birch Road.jpg

Rented Club Premises

No. 96 Jalan Dato’ Bandar Tunggal, Seremban

Wisma OPA.jpg

Wisma OPA

No. 24 Jalan Yam Tuan, Seremban

Paulian House

No. 324-1 (Lot 3029), Taman Bukit Kaya, Seremban

1970–1995

Building towards a permanent home

In 1970, SPOBA began the search for its own club building. The Association first rented premises at Market Lane and later Jalan Dato’ Bandar Tunggal. In 1972, the name changed to the Old Paulians’ Association, welcoming female students of SPI Secondary as members.

OPA subsequently invested in properties and land while pursuing its ambition of a purpose-built clubhouse. In 1995, land in Rasah was sold and the proceeds were used to purchase a shop lot at Jalan Yam Tuan.

2001–Today

Wisma OPA and Paulian House

A three-storey Wisma OPA was constructed at Jalan Yam Tuan. In 2016, OPA acquired the Brothers’ Bungalow beside the SPI Primary field and converted it into Paulian House, the Association’s present home.

Today, OPA supports sports development, scholastic awards, student welfare and fundraising projects for SPI Primary and Secondary—carrying the Paulian spirit into a new generation.

Once a Paulian, always a Paulian—in heart, mind and soul.